We design, manufacture and install beautiful, bespoke joinery & interiors for a variety of residential and commercial projects. Our streamlined and fully integrated design, fabrication and installation service enables us to work across a range of scales with current contracts ranging from £25,000 up to £750,000. We fabricate these in our 5000sqft workshop in South East London, equipped with the latest machinery & digital fabrication capabilities.
A designer is responsible for leading and progressing projects through the concept phase of a project before handing over to the technical design team. They must have the ability to manage medium – large projects autonomously. The role requires an excellent knowledge of both materials and fabrication techniques & methods, an innate attention to detail, and is often client facing, therefore it is essential that they are professional to ensure Shape’s customers receive the high quality product and service they expect. They need to have a passion for design and the ability to extract the unique opportunities within a brief, to create kitchens, joinery & spaces that are not only functional but also beautiful. In addition, they will be expected to research and propose new tools/ideas to facilitate self-, team- and company-wide learnings and improvements, showing a clear positive impact on both the company’s culture and growth trajectory.
Responsibilities & Requirements
- Liaise with the client & design team to respond to a design brief in a creative, efficient and professional manner.
- Assist with the creation & compilation of design information for stage design reports, to include; 2D CAD plans & elevations, 3D models, Photoshop montages, material palettes, precedent studies, specification schedules and InDesign documents.
- Ensure effective and professional communication with the Shape team.
- Use of project management software to log-time and monitor & update programmes as and when tasks are in progress/ completed ensuring that any issues are raised with the Project Manager or Design Director.
- Specifying materials, finishes, appliances, fixtures & fittings, always ensuring what we are designing is fit for purpose.
- Research new materials, finishes & techniques.
- Maintaining the project finishes schedules and drawing register.
- Respond to queries regarding any design adjustments the client may have.
- Liaising with the workshop/ workshop manager regarding best manufacturing practices and following advice on details.
- Preparing clear and concise drawing packages for the client.
- Undertake site surveys with an understanding of the critical dimensions required, noting any issues on site with the architect/ contractor that are going to affect the joinery installation.
- Drafting survey information.
- Oversee & assist with the coordination and creation of the Shape Space model library, adding any new models for review when complete. Checking models created by the design team.
- Research and propose new tools/ideas to facilitate self-, team- and company-wide learnings & improvements.
- Excellent command of Vectorworks.
- Strong command of Adobe Suite (InDesign essential, Photoshop preferred).
- A natural three-dimensional understanding.
- Strong understanding of cost and the implications of design decisions/ material choices.
- Excellent material & hardware knowledge.
- Excellent problem-solving and organisational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Able to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Able to scope and define work or projects into well-defined milestones and timeframes.
- Comfortable managing medium-large projects without the need for significant feedback from more senior team members.
- Attention to detail.
- Computer and software literacy.
- Excellent planning skills.
- Excellent critical thinking skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
What we Offer
- Competitive salary dependent upon experience.
- Full-time employment.
- Workplace pension scheme.
- Company bonus scheme.
- Opportunities for training and advancement.
- Dynamic working environment.
Other Job Opportunities
We are looking for a workshop assistant to aid with the fabrication and assembly of high-end joinery on a number of exciting projects across London. The candidates must be able to follow instructions to deliver work of the highest quality to meet our exacting standards and work effectively as part of a team.